A new federal regulation limits the number of times a student may repeat a course and receive financial aid for that course.
- A student may receive aid when repeating a course that was previously failed (received a 0.0 or No Pass), regardless of the number of times the course was attempted and failed.
- A student may receive aid (if electing to repeat a previously passed course) one additional time.
- Once a student has completed any course twice with a passing grade, he/she is no longer eligible to receive aid for that course.
- If a student chooses to retake a course, and that course is not eligible for aid, the Office of Financial Aid will recalculate the student's aid to exclude the credits for the repeated course from eligibility.
- This rule applies whether or not the student received aid for earlier enrollments in the course.
- Not all aid will require adjustment. Students can see the effect on their aid offers by comparing their enrollment level with and without the course(s) using the Enrollment Chart for the Fall/Spring Award Year or for the Summer Semester.
- Students will receive notification if they are aid applicants and attempt to repeat coursework beyond the limits.
- Students must also adhere to MSU's repeat policy.
Exception for structured programs
Federal regulations specify that students may not recieve aid for repeating courses previously passed if the student is required to retake those courses as part of a structured program.
For example, a student who fails a course in a semester and is required by the college or department to repeat all courses taken in that semester before moving on in the program would not be eligible to receive aid for the passed courses, only for the failed one(s). That may mean that the student would not be eligible for any aid for the semester, depending upon the number of passed courses being repeated.
Or, for a structured program where the student passes the first term but fails in the second, if the college requires repeating both semesters the next year, the student would have no aid eligibility for the first semester where he or she passed all courses, and would have aid eligiblity in the second semester only for the failed course(s).