A few words about education and money…
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
— Derek Bok
Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't.
— Pete Seeger
Spartan Podcast interview with MSU's Director of Financial Aid
Rick Shipman, Director of the Office of Financial Aid, was interviewed for the Spartan Podcast on August 4th, 2008. In the interview, he explains the financial aid process and encourages parents to have "the talk" with their students about how their education costs will be funded. Listen to the podcast here.
Some MSU financial aid stats (2011-2012 aid year)
- Total financial aid from all sources disbursed in 2011-2012: $637,531,120
- Total student loans: $302,058,109 for 25,004 students
- Total parent loans: $76,264,621 for 5,634 parents
- Total need-based grants: $114,085,206 for 14,961 students
- Total other grants/scholarships: $126,290,273 for 20,543 students
- Total Work Study Earnings: $2,646,155 for 1,287 students
- Unduplicated number of students receiving financial aid: 36,194 or 64% of the total enrollment
- Unduplicated number of enrolled students: 52,504
- Most frequently asked financial aid question: "Where's my refund?"