Summer Aid Disbursement
Financial aid has special rules and consequences when offered for summer semesters. Please read all of the information below and contact us if you have any questions.
- All federal Direct Subsidized / Unsubsidized loans require you to be enrolled at least half-time. (Exception: If your loan's Aid ID begins with a "B" you must be enrolled full-time.) Direct Loans you receive for summer semester may reduce your loan eligibility for the following fall semester. Consult with a member of our staff before you accept summer loans if you have concerns about your fall loan eligibility.
- Your summer disbursement date is 10 days prior to the starting date of your earliest starting summer class. This means, for instance, that if you are attending only during the second subterm, your disbursement will not occur until 10 days prior to the start of that subterm.
- The amount of aid OFFERED to you is based on half-time enrollment. If your enrollment is less than half-time, you will not receive any funding from most of the awards. You do not receive a greater amount if you are enrolled three-quarter or full time.
Use this chart to determine your enrollment level for the summer semester based on your credits.
|ACADEMIC LEVEL||FULL-TIME||3/4-TIME||HALF-TIME||LESS THAN
|Undergraduate (including Ag Tech)||12||9-11||6-8||1-5|
Use this chart to determine your aid eligibility based on your summer enrollment level.
|AID PROGRAM||FULL-TIME||3/4-TIME||HALF-TIME||LESS THAN
|Federal Work-Study Program||100%||100%||100%||0%|
|MSU Spartan Advantage (USPD)||100%||100%||100%||0%|
|MSU Assistance Grant (UMAG)||100%||100%||100%||0%|
|MSU Student Aid Grant (USAG)||100%||100%||100%||0%|
|MSU Student Aid Grant (USGG)||100%||100%||100%||0%|
|Pell Grant (UPEL2)||100%||75%||50%||25%|
|Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (USEG)||100%||100%||100%||0%|
|Federal Perkins Loan (UPEK)||100%||100%||100%||0%|
|Federal Direct Subsidized / Unsubsidized Loan||100%||100%||100%||0%||HPSL / PCL (Medical Students Only)||100%||0%||0%||0%|
Note: If you are a study-abroad student, be sure to read the first bulleted point at the top of this page for important information about loans. You can disregard the table below, since most of your aid will disburse at the actual amount indicated in your package. (Stafford Loans require at least half-time enrollment in order to disburse.)
However, you must notify the Office of Financial Aid if:
- the number of credits for your study abroad program changes, or
- you add or drop any courses, either study abroad or on-campus credits